When we had our house built, we didn’t want to spring for the additional cost for a deck (the builder also said it would be wise to wait at least 5 years so the ground would settle), so initially we were deck-less…
I’m glad we waited, because if we did build a deck when our house was built, it would have been made of wood. And that would mean maintaining it ever year. While some people don’t mind staining or painting a deck every year or so, I would hate it.
We probably wouldn’t have a deck today, except my wife wanted one. We had the money saved up, so we went ahead and bought one about 4 years ago. It has been a great success! Every year, I enjoy it more and more! I didn’t have a deck growing up, so it was a entirely new experience for me.
As I mentioned above, I didn’t want to maintain it so I bought one of those composite wood ones! Buying one of those systems, means that I don’t ever have to stain the wood (yay)!
Reasons why a deck is worth the cost:
- Kids play games on the deck (toddlers basketball, soccer, etc).
- We eat out on the deck all the time when I make hamburgers from the grill.
- I like to go out late night and sit in the dark.
- We all like to sit in the sun on perfect sunny days.
- When the kids are going crazy inside, it’s an area to escape too.
- When the kids are being to crazy inside, sometimes we’ll send them out onto the deck.
- Great for hosting small get-togethers or small parties
- It’s also a nice location to write a blog entry when the kids are being loud or have friends over 😉
Have you ever resisted buying something because you underestimated the value in it, only to later be surprised and glad that you bought it?