Most of us wish we were a rich and famous celebrity, idolizing every step they take, constantly watching them in the news.
However, the cost of being rich and famous may be greater than we imagine. I would go as far as to say that the star celebrities are constantly on a kind of public stage, always being photographed or badgered by adoring fans (not to mention stalked).
Now granted being wealthy and a celebrity has its advantages, but my concern is about all of the great things that they’d miss out on that the average middle class family experiences!
Here’s a list of the things a celebrity would miss out on:
- A casual walk in the mall, or really anywhere in the public eye.
- A quiet evening out with their spouse. Even when they are at a private room in a restaurant, there is someone trying to take pictures or get an autograph. And there is always the nasty process of going and leaving the establishment.
- Travelling must be done in disguise, and even then, they are often recognized.
- Since they are busy with an acting gig, or away on a business trip, they miss large segments of their children growing up.
- They often adopt children rather than have their own kids, possible fearing that they might lose their million dollar looks or body.
- They’ll miss out on the sports that a child might play (if they play any at all).
- Their kids are bound to feel like they are entitled to have the same stuff other rich kids like them have. The celebrity may not experience the hugs from a child when they come home from work. Or at least not as many opportunities.
So while I wouldn’t mind being rich or financial independent, I don’t think I would really want to be famous. I think the costs would be too high, and you would give up too much in the process, especially if you have kids.
What do you think? Would you like to be Rich And Famous or just discretely rich (my preference)?