Before I jump into the list, some people say that Google is a monopoly. For those people, I say being a monopoly in nature just means that you are big and successful because you do a superb job at what you do!
Being a monopoly in itself isn’t bad nor illegal. The only time that it’s bad is when the large company practices illegal monopolistic practices like gouging consumers and keeping competition at bay by underhanded deals with vendors and retailers.
Okay, so I’ve identified why Google isn’t the bad guy just because they are big and successful, now onto some of the ways for saving money with Google applications!
My Favorite Free Google Applications:
- Their search engine! Yeah I know that search engines have always been free… But theirs is good enough that they could charge a small fee if they really wanted too…
- Email, gmail…* I’ve learned to really appreciated the power of their free email offering. Additionally as an emailer that also have Hotmail and Yahoo email accounts, Gmail was a bit of an odd duck at first. But once I realize their vision for the product, I became a big fan! Try it you’ll like it (after you understand it).
- Calendar Application. It rivals Outlooks calendar, but it’s freeeeee! For a small business, this application and gmail is truly a powerful combination!!!
- MS Office-like application called Documents (similar to Word, Excel,PowerPoint, etc)! Yeah, it’s a bit clunky and even slow at times, but still not bad! I use it to store a lot of information so I can get to them from any computer, anywhere! As the bandwidth in the US improves… Their MS office-like application “Documents” will be a huge threat to Microsoft’s Office solution.
- Google Voice. Here is the info directly from the Google description:
Welcome to Google Voice. Google Voice gives you a single phone number that rings all of your phones, saves your voicemail online, and transcribes your voicemail to text. Other cool features include the ability to listen in on messages while they’re being left, block unwanted callers, and make cheap international calls. We hope you enjoy using Google Voice.
I can attest that I love it! I now have very powerful free business phone system!
- Goog 411! Yep, they even have a free information phone line. I’ve used it and it’s great too!
- Google Map. Who hasn’t used this powerful application. Although with the advent of GPS this is becoming less of a force for navigation. I wonder when Google is going to come out with Google GPS? (lol)
*Many in the list above require an gmail account in order to use them. So if you are just starting your adventure in google applications, start with gmail!
Anyway, the list goes on and on! I’d recommend that anyone interesting in maximizing the amount of money they can save, to consider using google and their great online applications whenever possible!
What do you think? Google, friend or evil company hellbent on controlling the world and then the entire universe (muahahaha)…