I use to live my life unaware of hidden costs such as those that exists when taking a shower or using other bathroom facilities. I would like to say that I was naive and just considered them fixed costs… but that would be a lie. I really just chose never to think about the cost associated with anything in the bathroom.
Since I grew up with these fixtures, I just thought that the cost associated with bathroom activities (like taking a shower) were extremely low and not worth considering. However, being a self-proclaimed “Green Frugal Blogger“, I now have to take in consideration of such costs and patch them up like I would a hole in a bicycle inter-tube.
An Estimate of the Costs
Current Shower Costs
After entering my numbers into the calculator based on our current consumption, and I came up with a following costs estimate:
These above figures are based on a total shower time of 50 minutes a day for my family of four.
Past Shower Costs
My wife and I didn’t always take the quick 10 to 15 minute showers. Once I timed her showers and they were averaging 30+ minutes, and mine were at least 20 minutes (shower time was a great time for us to get lost in thought).
So using the same calculator that I used above and a shower time of 90 minutes, the following numbers was our old cost:
A significant increase in costs, obviously…
Frugal Ways to Save on Shower Cost
The following are some of the ways that I now save on shower cost in addition to taking shorter showers:
- In the summer months, I take a Navy Shower
- Since I telecommute some days, I try to skip a shower on those days.
- Stagger my shower time with my wife. The idea being that it won’t take as long to heat the water tank when the take if half full.
- Have the kids shower ever other day or even a longer interval.
- Keep my hair and the kid’s hair cut short so shampoo time is short too.
- Take the TV/radio out of the shower (just kidding)…
- Take showers at the gym or work (if one is provided) instead of at home.
Sometimes a long shower is worth it!
Have a hard day at work, or just went thought a grueling physical workout session or something bad happen during your day? Feel free to take a “longer than 10 minute” shower that one time! Sometimes, a long shower is a luxury worth taking! Just try not to make it a habit…
Did you like this Article? Then please subscribe to my RSS feed so you can check out new articles when they become available. You will help this blog grow by doing so. Thanks!