Some changes in my employer’s industry has changed my job’s employment type from salary to hourly.
While my manager said he would try to get me promoted as quickly as possible to the salary grade level, I don’t know if I want it. After experiencing the perks that I’m experiencing as an hourly employee, it might not be worth it, here is why:
- At a salaried employee, I wouldn’t get paid to work anything over 8 hour like I would sometimes have to do. As an hourly person I get time and a half to work those days. This turns out to be excellent money. Now instead of avoiding working those days, I consider them a financial windfall and a great opportunity!
- I no longer have to be on-call! The reason is because I would get paid like I was working a regular workday. So again this would be big money, sign me up!
- When traveling for work, Saturday and Sunday are now considered paid time too. Awesome!
- My weekends are now a pleasure again! My employer can’t call me without me getting paid so now I can go to movies and attend other social events without being interrupted.
- The dreaded electronic leash (company cell phone) can now stay at home, and even turned off! Shoot, I can even leave it at work if I want to (but I don’t leave it at work, I want it in case they call me since it’s an overtime opportunity).
- If I work over my eight hours on a given day, I get paid for it!
- Family time is pressure free and much more enjoyable!
I know this doesn’t seem obvious, but I would much rather be an hourly employee than a salaried employee… especially now that I have experienced both! I truly no longer feel like a corporate slave (or serf, or indentured servant), it’s been a liberating experience…
I bet you wouldn’t have guessed that hourly employment could end up creating a better lifestyle, I know I didn’t… It was a very pleasant surprise!