Yesterday, I noticed that down my my mailbox (about 2 feet back from it), the grass in that area seemed to be a bit lower than the grass around it. Based on common sense, most likely there was something hollow that was buried underground (probably a tree log) and slowly it has disintegrated over time and the hollow area collapsed, causing a hole to appear.
Sunday, after getting home from lunch, I noticed that the hole appears to be bigger!
Unfortunately, it looks like the start of a small sink hole forming in my yard.
To resolve my new Sinkhole problem I did the following:
- I went to Lowes, and bought three bags of the cheapest filler dirt I could find ($1.18 for a forty pound bag potting soil).
- With a shovel, I cut the grass into pieces so I could tear back the sod and expose the hole.
- Next I poured each bag of dirt into the hole, stomping the dirt down each time I applied a layer.
- Next I puzzled the sod pieces back together so the grass looks almost flat again.
- After a few weeks, I’ll go down and once again tear off the sod as I did before and lay down another bag or two of cheap dirt.
- Again, I’ll re-apply the sod in it’s proper place, along with a hand full of seeds.
- Hopefully, this will complete the process, but if not I’ll lay down some more dirt if it’s required.
Now you might be wondering how I saved money by doing what I did?
Well, believe it or not, this is not the first time that this has happened to me. In the middle of my yard, a similar sink hole appeared. That particular time, I waited over a week before acting. The theory was I would wait until the hole stops sinking before adding the dirt. Well, unfortunately after a week, the hole kept on getting deeper, and the sides where the hole appeared kept getting broader. This caused a 1 foot wide hold to expand into a six foot wide hole. I had to fill, and re-seed a much larger area on that previous hole… not fun!
Had I filled the hole earlier, instead of waiting a week, the sides where the hole appeared may have stayed intact!
If you are interested to read more about sinkholes check out this great article I found online: sinkholes.
Hope this doesn’t happen to you!