Our community has a special trash night were we are allowed to get rid of everything except mattresses. I blogged out it last year as “Everything Goes Trash Night is Like Bizarro Christmas” where this special day is almost like a holiday for my wife and I. It’s a great opportunity to get rid of clutter!
It’s the anti-thesis of Christmas where instead of receiving stuff, we get to toss stuff out! This year didn’t disappoint!
The list of things that we tossed out included the following:
- A plastic luggage traveling casing for traveling (this thing was huge and took up way to much space in my garage… I was also very ugly).
- A cheap black office chair that was broken (I had this for over 12 years).
- A heavy mirror that has sat in the basement since we moved into our house.
- A heavy metal computer tower model 486 (I have no idea why I kept it so long).
- Our lighting fixture that was replaced recently (a Chandelier).
- Old Bean Bags that were taking up space.
- The coffee table that we never used that sat in the basement.
- The kid’s sandbox that was too old and the kids never played with.
- A small fridge from my college days. (Still worked and was the first thing picked up by drive by folks looking for good stuff).
- and other miscellaneous junk.
We put our stuff out late, so we missed a few of the opportunistic drive by folks looking to breathe a second life into our stuff, but we still have a few. First was the guy in an SUV that was nicer than my cars. He just picked up the college dorm room fridge and left. The second was a guy in a small pickup, the took the heavy mirror, our Chandelier, and the coffee table. The garbage collectors got the rest.
Next year we’ll try to put out our stuff earlier, that way they might find a second home. Or perhaps Bizarro Santa will come and take them to the island of misfits…