Last week was a hard week since I was sick in multiple ways!
First on Monday, I had a small knee injury that prevented me from walking, but I was still able to go to work, with pain.
Tuesday while I was at work, I somehow caught a stomach virus. By the time I was done with work and drove home, the pain was horrible. I totally forgot about the pain in my knee… This pain stuck with me Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. It was so bad that I stayed in bed both Wednesday and Thursday! I really debated about going to the ER, as the pain was so sharp and never-ending…
Friday, I still was sick from the stomach virus, but able to work. However, at the end of the day, it turns out I now have a cold. Coughing and a stomach virus doesn’t mix well! Saturday and Sunday again, I mostly rested (grrr).
So I had a horrible week! But many of those days I was still able to be productive by taking the correct symptom reliever (except for the stomach virus).
Techniques to combat small illnesses:
- For my injured knee, it was simple, I just wrapped it in an elastic bandage and took ibuprofen, piece of cake.
- The stomach virus was tougher. I endured hours of pain and drank too much of a bottle of pepto bismol (which didn’t help at all). I was close to going to the ER when my wife suggested that I try a heating pad on my stomach. At first this sounded like something that would make me even sicker, but when I tried it, it did help. Still the continual cramping in my stomach knocked me out for days.
- Colder are easy, there is plenty of over the counter medicine that can help relieve the symptoms. This particular time I used buffered aspirin. If it get worse, I’ll keep moving up to heavier medicine.
All this to say try to figure out ways to keep moving (lol), as most things pass and the body recovers itself.
Now I’d like to mention some other great articles on the web while I was home sick last week:
- Budgeting in the Fun Stuff: New Year’s Resolutions and Goals for 2012 – I like the idea of breaking down exercise time into number per year of occurrences! That make this goal more concrete! Brilliant idea.
- Retire by 40: How Much We Spend On Coffee, Gas, Pets, Beer, And More – This is an awesome breakdown of the average amounts the average American spends on common expenses! I like the author was way below the average in spending!
- Everyday Tips and Thoughts: Fix For Motorola Droid 2 Keyboard Issues – If you have this problem here is the fix!!! It’s good to know in case you encounter something similar someday!
- My Journey to Millions: My American Express Spending December to January – This is an awesome breakdown of an average money that Evan encounters! I’ve been looking for similar information for years to compare my credit card bill to. Here it is!
- 101 Centavos: Redneck Dividends – The title says it all! This article is both educational and funny, check it out!
- Sweating the Big Stuff: How the Internet Can Help in Your Real Estate Search – Clever read, use the internet to maximize your real estate search!
- Financially Consumed: Save Money In The Zero Waste Home – It’s not often you hear of a Zero Waste Home!
- Thousaidaire: I Love Lunch – Yeah, I miss going to lunch with the guys at work. Great video.
- 20s Finances: Graduation from College without a Job – I got a job before I graduated, and it evolved into a very good one!
Hope you had a better weekend than I did!
Carnivals I participated in!
Yakezie Carnival at The Amateur Financier
Festival of Frugality at Squirrelers
Carnival of Financial Camaraderie at My University Money
Totally Money at Canadian Personal Finance
Canadian Finance Carnival at Canadian Finance Blog
Carnival of Financial Planning at The Amateur Finacier
Carnival of Retirement at Retire by 40